Desperate times call for desperate measures. This is the case of me and my weight loss. Remember I told you I was going to give you an update in few weeks? If you missed it, read here. Anyways, here I am. So I checked the scale few days ago and it has not bulged. Meaning there is something I’m not doing right. And that is true…… for some reason, my exercise and diet has been epileptic in the last few weeks. So I decided to take a bold step and blog my food maybe that will motivate me more.
Today I’m making the good old Spinach Stew (Efo Riro) + dried shrimp + Shredded Panla + Ponmo – Palm Oil. Normally I would add Tilapia fish but I don’t have Tilapia at home so I’m making do with what I have i.e. Stock fish (Panla), local dry shrimp and ponmo. Since palm oil plays a vital role in the taste of efo-riro, what I normally do is to add a lot of cray fish or stock fish/local dry shrimp/ cubed ponmo etc which I did in this case.
So here is the recipe- This serves 8-10 people at a sitting. I cooked a lot so I can freeze it.
- I bag of Frozen Spinach (2lbs)
- 3 bell Peppers
- 2 Tomatoes (this is optional. I didn’t add to this meal)
- ¼ Habanero pepper (Ata rodo). I don’t like too much pepper in food hence the little amount of habanero. If you like pepper, then you can add to it but be careful
- 1 cup of Nigerian dried big shrimp
- 4 cubes of maggi
- 2 bulbs of medium sized Onions
- 2 hand full of dried shredded Panla (Stock Fish)
- 1 spoon of Iru (local locust bean)
- 2 table spoon of Olive Oil (Not sure why I added this. It was not noticeable in the end product at all… Mtchew 😀 )
- Ponmo- As much as you want
- Salt to taste
Prep time- 15 mins
- Rinse all the listed vegetables
- Rinse all the other ingredients
- Separate the head of the dried shrimp from its body
- Soak the panla- (20mins)- normally I do this a day before so that my prep time will be reduced; This 20mins is not included in the Prep time
- Boil the ponmo (20 mins) – I do this a day before so that my prep time will be reduced; This 20mins is not included in the Prep time
- Dice one of the onions and 1 bell pepper
- Blend the bell pepper, ¼ habanero pepper, the remaining onion bulb, and the separated dried shrimp head together. The smoothness of the blended mixture actually depends on individual. I don’t blend mine completely smooth.
Cooking Time- 20mins
- Pour the blended pepper mixture into a pot on the stove
- Add 2 table spoon of Olive OiL,
- Add Iru
- Add 4 maggi cubes
- And Panla, ponmo, shrimp
- Cook for 10-15 minutes
- Add diced pepper and onion.
- stir food and allow it to cook under low heat for another 5 mins
- At this point Spinach Stew (Efo Riro) + Locally Dried Nigerian shrimp + Shredded Panla + Ponmo – Palm Oil is ready. It can be taken with Rice, Eba, Iyan, Elubo, Oat fufu, Cerolina etc.
Leave a comment below. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Did you enjoy this? Then share it with your family and friends on social media.
SUBSCRIBE TO TOLUSWORLD.COM SO YOU DON’T MISS MY FUTURE POSTS.
USE THE SUBSCRIPTION BOX ON YOUR SCREEN